Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Escarole and Beans

 "Yeah I would totally be vegan too if it wasn't for cheese."

I haven't been very nice to my vegetarian friends so far on this blog so I figured I'd throw them all a bone and share one of my favorite "la cucina povera" recipes. Escarole and Beans has always been a staple food for the Italian side of my family. It's filling, inexpensive and pretty damn impressive looking not to mention freakin' delicious. And get this, it's made out of STALE BREAD. I feel relatively lame buying fresh Italian bread to purposefully let go stale for this recipe but I've done weirder things in the pursuit of a good meal. Best part about this dish is that it really is incredibly easy. I promise you can do it, you vegi-phobic college students. You won't even notice the nutrients sneaking into your diet under the white blanket of parmesan cheese.

Escarole and Beans:

1 Large Loaf Stale Bread (Cubed, hold on to those crumbs and throw them in too!)
2 Heads of Escarole (Not all supermarkets have this, but call ahead a check!)
1 8oz can Cannellini Beans
3/4 Quart Vegetable Broth (or chicken or mushroom, depending on who's coming to dinner)
5-7 Cloves of Garlic (sliced)
1/2 cup of Parmesan Cheese (or more, I won't say anything if you don't)
Olive oil
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
  2. Heat olive oil on medium/low in a large pot and throw in sliced garlic. Let cook for a few minutes until the oil becomes aromatic.
  3. Chop up the escarole into 1 inch long strips and toss in a pot. Add broth and stir until the escarole is wilted
  4. Add a few shakes of red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you'd like it). add salt and pepper
  5. Remove from the heat and add bread cubes and cheese, toss together.
  6. Transfer the mixture to a lightly greased rectangular baking pan (metal or pyrex both work fine.) 
  7. Place in the over for about 40-50 minutes, or until the top is sufficiently browned.
- Juju XO

No comments:

Post a Comment